Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Independent Woman



Ika nga ng Destiny's Child 

"Tell me how you feel about this
Who would I want if I would wanna live
I worked hard and sacrificed to get what I get
Ladies, it ain't easy bein' independent"

Girl power! Weh. Anyways back to the ~serious~ part, so I've recently purchased and moved into my own condo (YAY) and I've been living alone for almost a year now. I have been cooking my own food, cleaning, paying the bills and just taking care of myself all on my own. Most people seem to find this intimidating, but out of all the things that I have been through in my 19 years of existence, I've found this experience the most challenging yet fun thing I have ever partaken in my life! Yeah, you get a lot of perks and have tons of fun but there are also sooo many disadvantages to living alone. Heres some of my highlights and pretty much lowlights (anodaw?)


1. It gets pretty lonely.

Lagi akong mag-isa, literally. I came from a family where we would always spend time together and visitors would be in and out of the house, it was a drastic change for me. I was so used to running to my siblings or parents if I had something good or bad happen to me, and now when things happen to me, I have no one to tell. But through this experience, I got to know myself more. I've learned not to depend on other people, whether it be for simple things like waking you up in the morning or to something like getting your heart broken and not having anyone to cry on (</3 CHOS). I've learned to value the time that I have to myself, that its pretty fun to be alone! I actually get a lot of things done now, I get to go to the gym, watch my favourite shows, discovers new things about myself like how much I love cooking and writing. I get to finally finish the books that I've never even gotten half way through before. 

2. Money, money, money. 

Aaminin ko, sobrang magastos akong tao. I am not a wise spender. I'm not saying that I'm rich, its just I would blow my money on things that weren't exactly important during that time. I would always eat out, go shopping and treat my friends that sometimes I would forget to pay my bills (big NO NO) and just wasting my cash on useless items. Since I live alone, everything that I spend is my own, I can't run to mommy or daddy anymore if I want to buy those pretty shoes or catch a movie with my friends. So now what I do is the magical thing called ~budgeting~. Instead of eating out with my friends I practice cooking and we just stay at home and have a nice dinner and play boardgames, its cheaper and more fun! Even from the simple things like not letting my air conditioner on all day and just opening my windows and breathing in the fresh Manila air! (HAHAHA). 

3. Responsibilities!

I have always been dependent on people. Not just my family but also my friends or schoolmates. Sad to say I was the type of person that couldn't accomplish anything without the help of other people. My mom and my assistant would always go with me EVERYWHERE, to taping, school the mall, you name it. I would always have someone cleaning up after me and my mom would "baby" me. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not a spoiled child, I wasn't the type to brat around (yeah right). Since I've been living alone its been a total 360 from that. Not only am I responsible for myself I am now also responsible for the people who work for me, I have to pay them on time and make sure I treat them the proper way. I have to make sure I have food to eat and not only that but maintain my own condo. Ever since I've learned to value my work and school more, since before aaminin ko, I would take everything for granted always thinking that I would still have something to look forward to in the next few months or years. Now I have to take everything into my own hands and make sure I do good not only in my work but also school to ensure myself of the future that I dream of.



Don't get me wrong living alone at this age isn't such a bad thing. Yes, there are times where I just want to move back in with my parents but then I always think "Why should I go back, when I'm already moving forward?". Its not for everyone, but I love living alone now, its one of the most serene things that I have at this moment. Yes it may not be a big thing in the Philippines, seeing as its not really part of our culture, but then again its the modern times and wouldn't you want a place to call your own? 


Love, 
Lauren

32 comments:

  1. Hey lauren its amazing to note that you are livingon ur own... enjoy kaya mag isa at magpundar ng gamit pra sa sarili at the end of the day naging responsable tayo!

    Im looking for the follow button di ko mahanap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, the fact that you can call everything yours is very fulfilling. It may sound very materialistic but the fact that these are the things that you have worked hard to get gives you a sense of fulfilment :)

      Delete
  2. Nice post Lauren! You're doing a really good job! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can totally relate to your experience living solo as i have recently decided not to share my apartment with anyone. it was a tough decision and it gets pretty lonely (as you have mentioned). but just like you, i'm learning to love independence too. :) looking forward to reading more of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can relate to you.. :) I hope that you feel less lonely, because I certainly do already! Good luck on your adventures as an independent woman!

      Delete
  4. kakatuwa,,may bago nakong susubaybayan na blog.^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nakarelate ako ng bongga, it's just that I don't work yet. My mother still provide me everything I need. I just live alone, because my mother is an OFW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to your mom! My mom works abroad also, I know the feeling.. Sometimes when I'm really out she helps me. You'll get there one day! :)

      Delete
  6. you should blog about your condo! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just hope may gfc ka sa right side bar of this blog...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire you girl!:) I blog and read blogs mostly about beauty stuffs, but I seem to like your outlook about life. New blog to follow on my list!:) More posts to come!:) xoxo

    Mitchie
    www.yourbeautydiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please blog more about living independently! Maybe suggest some tips and such. I will be living independently soon as well, so i'm a bit scared of what's to come. Love your blog btw! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theres nothing to be scared of! There may be a bit of rough parts but nothing we can't handle. And I will take your suggestion about blogging about living independently :)

      Delete
  10. I've been living alone since first year college (I was 16 at the time) and yes, it does get lonely, it's hard, but the sense of fulfillment is there everytime I realize I can actually depend on myself, and not on anybody else. Plus, not asking for money from my parents means they can use their money for their own leisure now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! In a way its my little way of helping out my parents, now they can do whatever they want to do without thinking about what I need :) Its their turn now to relax.

      Delete
  11. nice, naka relate ako dun! go gurl! God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dami ko nalaman at natutunan sayo ate lo! :)) Thank you for this blog mas nakikilala kita at mas lalo kita nagiging Idol <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. brave girl... living alone does get pretty lonely; it entails a lot of challenges, esp for one living alone abroad

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just read this! Thanks for listening to my suggestion. I'm proud of you. Keep it up, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to blogger Lo! Been a follower in your tumbler days. Looking forward for more fun and inspiring posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you for following me all the way here! And thanks for the welcome as well :)

      Delete
  17. Cheers to independence! I moved out right after I started uni and I think it's one of the best decisions I ever made :) As you've mentioned, I became more responsible with pretty much everything. It's tough, but it's also rewarding and fun. Good luck!

    So glad you started this blog! :)

    Gia @ Lovely Serendipity

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi neighbor! we live in the same building, I hope we can bump into each other someday :) Been following Saab's blog pero ngayon dalawa na finofollow ko na blog. keep it up Lauren! Hope to read more blogs from you on the next few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lo!

    Great post! Naka-relate ako! Well, technically I still live in my parents house but they're both gone. And living "alone" is really hard. Aside from wala na talaga akong masasandalan, the maintenance of our house is not a joke. I like what you said na "Why should I go back, when I'm already moving forward?" it's a new chapter in my life so whether I like it or not I have to face this. ;)

    - Kaiye

    *sorry I have to use our username in wordpress hehe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kudos to you! You inspired me a lot, Lo. Really. Continue to share your life and inspire many teenagers out there. You really are a good role model to us. :)

    ReplyDelete